Ph. D Nursing
NHP 2002 emphasizes the need to prepare nurses to function in super-specialty
areas who are required in tertiary care institutions, entrusting some limited
public health functions to nurses after providing adequate training, and
increase the ratio of degree holding vis a vis diploma holding nurses. There is
an acute shortage of nursing faculty in under graduate and post graduate nursing
programme in India. Doctoral education is essential to prepare nurse scholars to
improve the quality of nursing education and practice in India.
education builds upon and extends competence acquired at the undergraduate and
post graduate levels, emphasizes theory development and research skills. The
function of nurse scholars are to: assume leadership roles in complex healthcare
and education systems, develop a theoretical and empirical base for nursing
practice in both current and emerging health care systems, conduct nursing
research and participate in developing healthcare policies. The entire thrust is
on professional preparation in Nursing that could lead to evidence based
practice for clinical effectiveness.
Doctoral education is to prepare nurse scholars who will contribute both to the development and application of knowledge in nursing for enhancing quality of nursing education, research, practice and dissemination of nursing knowledge
The doctoral prepared nurse will be able to:
- Conduct research relevant to nursing
- Develop nursing theories and nursing science
- Synthesize knowledge from nursing and other allied sciences to develop and
test theory that affects health status.
- Demonstrate the leadership skills in nursing practice, education and
- Disseminate the results of theory development and research
National consortium for Ph.D in Nursing (hereafter called as Ph.D Consortium) has been constituted by Indian Nursing Council (INC) in collaboration with Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences and W.H.O., under the Faculty of Nursing to promote doctoral education in various fields of Nursing.
National Consortium for Ph.D. has been constituted by Indian Nursing Council to promote research activities, in various fields of Nursing. Ph. D Consortium of Indian Nursing Council in collaboration with Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, intends to initiate Ph.D. degree programme in Nursing under the aegis of RGUHS. 6 study centres namely
INE Mumbai, R.A.K. College of Nursing, New Delhi, C.M.C. College of Nursing, Vellore, C.M.C. College of Nursing, Ludhiana, Govt. College of Nursing, Thiruvanthapuram, Govt. College of Nursing, Hyderabad, has been recognized by National Consortium for Ph.D. in Nursing. These centres will be connected by Video conferencing facilities. MOU has been signed between INC, WHO and RGUHS
Calendar of Events
- Provisional registration- 1st July every year
- Submission of half yearly progress report- 15th July every year/15 Jan every year
- No two half yearly progress report should be submitted simultaneously
- Conduction of the pre-Phd examination after the approval of 1st and 2nd half yearly progress reports and completion of one year from the date of provisional registration
- Exact date of the examination will be notified by the university
- Confirmation of registration after successfully completion of pre-Ph.D examination
- Submission of ethical clearance certificate within one year after provisional registration
- Submission of final synopsis of research work leading to Ph.D degree after approval of all half yearly reports and on permission to submit the synopsis of Ph.D registration committee.
- Submission of Ph.D Thesis along with the application within 6 months after the approval of the final synopsis and permission to be sought by Phd registration committee to submit the thesis.
- Final viva-voce examination after the acceptance and approval of Ph.D
thesis by the examiners (date to be notified by the University)
- Ethical clearance from the institution should be obtained from where data
is being collected
- Viva-voce to be conducted in the study centers
Conduct of pre-ph.d examination will be at the respective study centers.
- A study center which has the videoconferencing facility shall be center for presentation of seminar, term paper and viva-voce examination.
- A candidate has to come to the nearest study center to his/her place.
- A guide has to come to the nearest study center to his/her place.
- Scope of changing the topic is there within one year.
- Implication to nursing to be incorporated in the topic selected by the candidate.
Any clarification regarding Ph.D programme may be written to the INC
E-Mail-id: - firstname.lastname@example.org